Haitian Beignets Recipe
Experiments like these are what Haitian cooking is all about. Feel free to substitute regular sugar for the sugar cane syrup, and do let me know which version you like best in the comments below.
- 2-3 very riped bananas
- 2 eggs (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp of sugarcane syrup or molasses (to taste)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- Vanilla Essence (to taste)
- Powdered nutmeg (to taste)
- Powdered cinnamon (to taste)
- Mash the riped bananas, and mix in the beaten in the eggs.
- Add the flour, salt, sugarcane syrup or molasses, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and milk. Mix well
- Fry it in hot oil by the spoonful
- Sprinkle generously with sugar and serve.